Wednesday, September 3, 2008

When Science Goes Wrong

Simon LeVay, 272 pp.

I guess it's time to get the party started... (cept some DICK took the first post!)

To start off, I just recently finished reading a nonfiction account of mishaps in many different fields of science called When Science Goes Wrong, by Simon LeVay. Initially my impressions were slightly off base. With the first reading of the title, in my mind I imagined similar TV title spoofs such as, "When Animals Attacks", or "When Buildings Collapse" and other such montages with Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture resounding in my skull. To my suprise, I was entertained with the 12 featured stories as well as I would have been if I watched any of the TV montages.

These stories take place in a variety of scientific feilds, such as Microbiology, Geology, Meteorology, and Nuerosciences. Each story has some distiguished or talented individual that in performing seemingly routine tasks and studies for their profession encounter a slight hiccup and pay for it dearly. The great thing about this book is not only does it tell the story of people dieing in Volcano Eruptions, or from a leak at a nuclear plant, but it also shows the scientific side to each story, showing the exact thought process to get to the climax, while not confusing you with scientific jaron.

Basically, it all comes down to this. If you like a book that will rip your attention and stimulate your mind, then this book would be perfect for you. If you are looking for non fiction short stories that have a slight gruesome side, you could do better, but this book will still satisfy. If you are looking for technical detail describing the mishaps of each story or lookin for fiction, you best find another book.


-Maj. MajorMajorMajor

No comments: